what is anxiety?
- Anxiety is the most common symptom of psychiatric disorders.
- Anxiety is an irrational worry about imaginary ideas and thinks.
- Anxiety is a normal phenomenon but it becomes pathological when the normal routine function is disturbed of the client.
- Sigmund Freud used the word ANXIETY at first.
What causes anxiety?
- Decreased level of GABA neurotransmitter
- Failure in love and loss of loved ones
- Failure in exams
- The occupational problem, Family problems, Divorce
- Lack of coping mechanism
- Unexpected achievement
- Post-traumatic event and grief
Level’s of Anxiety
- Mild anxiety – Mild anxiety occurs every day but the individual will be alert. Mild anxiety can motivate, encourage, grow, and increase learning skills.
- Moderate anxiety– Focus on the immediate concerns. Moderate anxiety involves learning and problem-solving skills. Narrow perceptual field
- Severe anxiety – Severe anxiety disturb the routine life. A patient shows unexpected behavior. Learning and problem-solving skills are also affected. The individual requires more attention.
- Panic – Panic anxiety is fear and terror, which increases motor activity. Loss of rational thoughts with distorted perception occurs. Panic anxiety patient unable to concentrate. Prolonged panic anxiety may lead to Death.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder occurs in a day or daily life in which the patient shows physical symptoms.
- It usually occurs in the 30-40year age group.
- Duration of anxiety is more than 6 months
- It occurs more frequently in women.
What is the Sign and symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Fearful anticipation, irritability
- Poor concentration and worrying thoughts
- Chronic muscular tension
- Dry mouth, Dizziness, Difficulty in swallowing
- Loose motion
- Chronic Fatigue and sleep Problem
- Headache, tremor, Night terror
- Loss of appetite.
Panic Anxiety Disorder
- Panic anxiety disorder is a acute or sudden onset panic attack.
- It is a uncommon type of anxiety disorder and it is not a persistent, It is characterized by episodes.
- Severe, recurrent, intermittent anxiety attack lasting 5-30 min.
- Peak level of panic anxiety after 10 min. from onset.
What is the Sign and Symptoms of Panic Anxiety Disorder?
- Shortness of breath and rapid heart rate.
- Chest discomfort or pain and palpitation
- Sweating, dizziness and loss of appetite
- Numbness, poor concentration and irritability
- Derailment (Client sudden speak other than topic)
- Panic phobia
- Tachycardia, Diaphoresis
- Blurred vision
What is the Diagnosis of Anxiety?
- History taking
- Anxiety Determine based on signs and symptoms
- Assess the hormone level
- ICD 10 criteria also helpful to find out the anxiety.
- Thyroid Function test and glucose test
What is the Management of Anxiety?
- Antianxiety drug – Benzodiazepines etc.
- Tricyclic Antidepressants – Imipramine, Buspirone
- Beta Blockers
- Anti-psychiatric medication
- Behavior therapy – Relaxation technique, breathing exercise, progressive relaxation, listening music and watching a movie
- Cognitive therapy – Teach the patient to replace Negative thoughts
- Provide familiar environment
- Improve coping mechanism
- Medication and yoga exercise
Nursing Management of Anxiety
- The nurse provides a calm environment and decreased environmental stimuli.
- Anyone stays with the client in the room.
- Encourage the client to identify what and how he/she feels and discuss his/her feeling.
- Nurse helps the client to identify the cause of the feeling if he/she has difficulty adjusting in life.
- Nurse create a trustful relationship with patients.
- Nurse listen carefully and actively of patient problems.
- The nurse encourages the patient to replace the thoughts.
- Nurse use cognitive behavior therapy to replace thoughts.
- The nurse administers the prescribed antianxiety Medications.
- The nurse provides the patient choice of diet.
- Monitor the Vital sign and evaluate the patient’s condition.
- Provide a stimulating environment.
|Read Also.>> What is Depression- Classification & Nursing Management|
QnA of Anxiety
- The most common symptom of mental disorder – Anxiety
- The word Anxiety was first used by – Freud
- Biological cause of the anxiety disorder – Decreased GABA Neurotransmitter level
- Generalized anxiety disorder affect which age group peoples – 30-40 years of age group.
- Duration of generalized anxiety disorder – 6 Months
- Which anxiety disorder involves sudden onset panic attack – Panic anxiety disorder
- A peak level of panic anxiety at – After 10 min. from the onset
- Client sudden speaking other than the topic is known as – Derailment
- Which therapy is helpful to treat anxiety disorder – Cognitive behavior therapy